8.03.2011

The Mean Streets of Austin


mean streets of Cusco, Peru
Actually, the streets of downtown Austin are far from mean. As sketchy as some areas can seem, I have walked down my share of shady streets in New York City. Then again, this is the ignorant boasting of a green Austinite who thinks she can handle anything after NYC… or well, edit that… handle anything after Cusco! (Maybe that might help my rap sheet.)  Anyway, I have no idea what the crime rate is around here. Probably would have been smart to find out, lest I learn it first hand.

If there were a time to experience the more precarious side of the city, it would have been last night. I went again to the Tuesday night “Just Love” event for Gateway. (I’m pretty happy to find out what it’s called, even though I still can’t describe exactly what they do.) I still cannot really explain last night, especially since I arrived late (a drive from southernmost Austin takes 23-30 miles to go anywhere fun). From what I gathered, it was about the idea of belonging and being chosen. We had to remember those awkward gym days when everyone would get picked to play, except you.  (Yea, we love reminiscing on those days! *sarc mark)

As unfortunate as those memories were, it helped take us to a mindset where we can see some of God’s people that have been overlooked, or needed to feel like they were important enough to be chosen. It was apparently one of the hottest nights in Austin (though honestly, when has it been not the hottest night in this place!!!!). We got 2 bottles of water and were mandated to walk downtown and give the bottles of water to someone who may need to feel that sense of being chosen.

We began our walk and realize there weren’t that many people walking around downtown. In my head, if it was indeed that hottest night, most probably opted to stay indoors. It wasn’t until we walked several minutes that I spied some people taking shade in a tree by a parking lot. The sun was already low in the sky, so honestly, that tree wasn’t doing much to keep the heat at bay. So we headed over to do our Samaritan thing. I thought, okay, we’ll just hand them over and then keep going. But of course, God always has other plans.

I was in a group with 3 guys and one of the people started chatting them up. The man that I gave my water to also started chatting with me apart from the others.  Now, I don’t really like the “I’m a helpless female” excuse. But, I have to face facts that I am kinda tiny and can easily be overtaken.  So, it was not a comfortable situation at the beginning, especially after he made inappropriate comments. However, not wanting to be rude, I kept chatting, all the while fighting with my “flight” instincts.

Honestly, at the end of this experience, I can’t give you a very sunshine and rainbows moral of the story. It wasn’t that I came out of that with a fresh faced perspective that I have lost all my discomfort with being in those type of situations. I can honestly say though that it was a surprisingly more pleasant experience that I would have thought. And the more moving part to me wasn’t the majority of my time spent chatting with the man. It was actually with a woman who had just been sitting there until I was introduced to her. She and I come from different backgrounds and experiences, but after a short time of talking, I felt a connection, like she and I had a shared inner struggle.  "I'm just trying to get my life back together," she said as she told me about her man walking out on her and losing her will to care.

I guess it was in that moment when I took to heart the message from tonight, about feeling that sense of not being left out. My only regret is that combating the discomfort of facing the man kept me from reaching out to her earlier. Nevertheless, it is good know what's your kryptonite. Maybe next time I'll remember to keep my eyes set on the overarching purpose instead of just my emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment