8.11.2011

It's a family thing

Some of my friends are under the impression that I have family everywhere....  okay.. maybe that's true. At least, it's very true for Austin. In general, I think emigrating is just a reality of Filipinos. Therefore, many of us end up at random places around the world. Also, we are so big on family that we continue to count blood relation beyond the typical American limit of first cousins.  Honestly, it's really been a blessing having family here. Knowing I have this support takes the edge of this venture.

Even though the idea behind moving was to try something new and be more independent, it is a lot easier in theory than practice. I didn't fully appreciate "alone" til I found myself in a new city, having to adjust not only to a new culture (trust me, down here is a whole 'nother world) and getting used to 3 digits of HOT!!!!


 Now, the cool thing about meeting and spending time with family is that you realize some of the quirky traits that you find in with own family members display themselves those distant relatives as well. Considering which side of the family I have settled in with, I am not surprised at all that I somehow end up being part of this:


Yes, folks, this is a band picture. It's amazing how strong the music gene runs in my grandpa's side of the family. And actually, we happen to have our first gig this Saturday (that's how I got roped into this venture ^_^).  It is pretty awesome to be able to do something familiar and comfortable like music, especially when there isn't really anything I'm doing here that's familiar.

And at the same time, being with family also teaches me something new. For example, during a family gathering, I will hear 3 different Philippine dialects: Bisaya (my native dialect), Tagalog (which I only learned til 2nd grade) and Chavacano (which was never taught to me, but can understand because of my Spanish studies). It was pretty trippy the first time I heard all of them because they sort of just jump from one to the other depending on who they're talking to. Definitely keeps me on my toes if I wanna know what's going on!

Also, my 8 year old cousin is teaching me how to...











Although, when a young boy can move his hips better than I can... it might be time to throw in the towel. :)

That is all for now.

4 comments:

  1. I love how close you are to your fam! SO fun seeing what post CUSSW life is like. Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha... the cousin thing must also be an Italian thing, everyone up to 2nd, sometimes even 3rd, cousins are "family." When Glen found out Andrea was only my second cousin, he started referring to her as my "fake" cousin. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. heard your grandpa's back in the phils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha. Fun times in Austin!

    ReplyDelete