8.24.2011

Hill Country Riding

the ride with my jacket on top
 One of my favorite things about living in Austin rather than the more popular Houston or Dallas, is the fact that there are rolling hills in the area instead of the typical flat. Therefore, areas of Austin is part of the aptly named "Hill Country" in Central Texas. I was able to experience more of this beauty and some of the few lush greenery that still manages to exist in this drought-infested state while going out motorcycle riding for fun (and not for function as riding in the Philippines often is).  ^_^



The ride began in San Marcos, which is a cute little town between Austin and San Antonio. There are apparently some outlets there as well. I didn't see them, but definitely have to add that to the checklist sometime. 

I took some pictures while we waited at the H.E.B. for the other riders. It seems the tubing is pretty popular in San Marcos because there were a lot of signs for where to get tubes. Or well, they like to write it as "toobs", which cracks me up every time I see it (which was a lot). 

Too bad I couldn't take pictures when riding since it's difficult if you're trying not to fall off! I have to admit, I was jealous of the other ladies with comfy seats in the back of Harleys. Apparently, I must earn my stripes before enjoying that privilege. Riding a crotch rocket is apparently something for the 20-somethings to do. 

We drove for about 4 hours. From San Marcos, we drove through a place called Devil's Backbone, then the town of Blanco and Wimberly. Then we headed down Purgatory Road and completed our ride with a scenic ride through Canyon Lake.  That last part was my favorite drive since the road followed the river and crossed at some points. It was also surrounded by trees which gave us protection from the sun. 

Our final stop was for ice cream at Freddy's Custard in New Braunfels.  Fun as it was, I'm definitely good on the whole riding thing for a while. Reece is always uber-safe and insists we wear jeans, leather jacket, sneakers and a full head helmet in 105 degree weather! I know it's a good thing, but it was for sure HOT!

I'll end this entry here, but before I leave, here are a couple of fun pics below:

This sculpture amused me at Cafe Java.

Indeed, why not? Slogan at Max's Wine Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment