8.15.2011

Bat Crazy

Did you know that Austin is famous for its bats?

Okay, maybe you knew.  However, until last week, I had no idea. The Congress Street Bridge that spans Town Lake is home to over a million bats!

So since I found this out, I have wanted to see them. The first attempt was last Sunday, after discovering this fun fact. We trekked from Longs Center when the symphony finished, and hoped to catch the tail end of something. But sadly, we were disappointed.

Throughout the week, I started to notice random things that would indicate how Austin is like the "bat capital of the world". First there was a flyer handed to us called Symphony BATS for young professionals who enjoyed classical music. Then around town would be a logo with bats or some other type of reference which I never noticed until now.

Thankfully, I only had to wait an entire week before I got to see them. One of my friends from NYC had moved here recently as well, so we first to kayak and see the tiny cracks under the bridge where the bats lived. Then, we headed over to join the exodus of people who crowded on the side of the bridge to watch the phenomenon. I was able to take a quick video using my phone. :)


Isn't that neat?

I guess my Austin bat curiosity has now been satiated. So, what else does this city have? As long as it's cute and doesn't bite, I'll be all over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment