8.01.2011

The stars at night...

Nothing brings people together like some a song and dance! 


photo found on this neat free stuff site
Thursday night was a fun, relaxing evening. I joined some hundred Austinites over at the Hillside Theater in Zilker Park to watch their free summer musical, Footloose. The ground was pretty hard and the grass was dead. We're in the middle of a drought after all. However, there was a merciful breeze throughout the night. I have to admit it was pretty neat to sit there on a towel with my picnic food, watching actors sing and dance with other people from the community. What I loved most was the small twinge of belonging that I felt there amidst the crowd. Always a good first step to being in unfamiliar territory.




Since I'm about to start my 3rd week in this place, I'm happy that this caterpillar is slowly coming out of the cocoon of isolation. Definitely, need to find more things to do like this and for sure ones that are free!  Seems like Austin has it's fair share. I even found a site that I linked in the above picture, which seems to have a number of free things in general. I'm excited about that.





After the time at Zilker, I did some star gazing around the bend from my house. This is definitely the part that I am loving about this place. STARS! In my head, I keep hearing, "The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas."  Thanks, Sheldon Cooper.
(Only Big Bang Theory fans are going to get this, lol)
From less than an hour of partaking in that age old pastime, I was able to see 3 shooting stars! It's pretty amazing. Back home, since I live 15 minutes out of New York City, that is quite the rarity. Sadly, I was in a salty mood and didn't feel like making a wish on any of them. Since when I have I ever not wished on a shooting star? Missed opportunities for sure. Can't let the realistic, grownup wannabe win out!

Anyway, even though there have been some fun adventures, I still feel my heart calling for home. That always brings me back to a very lonely place in my emotions. How did I manage to move to Honolulu, last time? You'd think moving 5,000 miles away would be more difficult? 
But then again, maybe this is the difference between 22 and 28-year-old Faye. Nevertheless, I always welcome the chance at seeing another side of me when faced with different situations. I just hope I'm brave enough for whatever other challenges await me.





1 comment:

  1. You're gonna see a lot of shooting stars over the next couple of weeks! The Perseids are peaking August 12 - 13, but I think the meteor shower started at the very end of July. I'll be out there the night of August 12 watching for 'em (up to 50/hour!!), so maybe we can watch "together." ;-)

    ReplyDelete