9.25.2011

Make new friends with a walk and fish fry!

Yesterday was the Stop Child Trafficking Now 5k Walk in Austin. I was up at the crack of dawn, per usual, except for the fact that it was a Saturday! Feels almost sacrilegious. But, this sacrifice was worth it since SCTnow is a great organization and I wanted to start getting active in the community in general.

I arrived just after the start of registration and sat on a ledge to wait for the rest of the walkers to arrive. After relaxing for a few minutes, my eyes caught the sign of where my church was supposed to congregate. But, instead of heading over, I stayed where I was. Honestly I didn't feel like heading over. There were no seats by the sign. And even more than that, I didn't know anyone over there.  

noob = newbie
Well, I barely know anyone in Austin. The last two months has been all about creating new relationships, which, as fun as it can be, is exhausting! (I have a lower social limit compared to the rest of my immediate family). However, when you move to a new town, it is essential. Back home where I had lived for about 20 years, I have a whole network of friends from various communities that I had been part of in those years. It is so easy to hang out and, most importantly, they know me and still think I'm cool (well, more or less)! Fortunately and unfortunately, this noob has to brave the social world to create the community that I am used to having.  (But of course, in the case of this walk, it didn't stop me from at least waiting for the one person with whom I was acquainted before heading over to the rest of the unknowns.)

Of course, as intimidating as it is to be in new social situations, they are usually rewarding. The 5k went by quickly as I learned more about my new friends from the small group that I joined. It was also a perfect opportunity to enjoy the beautiful neighborhoods that were part of the older section of central Austin. Then, afterwards, we spent a lovely brunch together, complete with a carafe of mimosa.

Here I am at the walk
To continue the trend from that morning, I also joined a gathering by one of my coworkers. She was having a fish fry and I had never heard of, let alone gone to one of those before. I know, it's obvious from the name that a fish fry is a party where the group fries fish. But, who was I to assume such things. 

For my first fish fry, I thought it was a lot of fun. Her boyfriend caught the fish himself from Lake Travis since they lived so close to it! They had set up a propane tank and grill on the parking lot to prevent burning the already dead and dry grass in the drought. And we just sat on the curb, drinking wine, chatting and generally enjoying one of the few cool nights in Texas since I've arrived. Again I was able to spend time with some very fun and interesting people. There was one even someone who had also moved from the town where one of my good friends lived in New York. That was a neat coincidence. 

Over all, it was a great weekend of doing new things and meeting new people. And this Sunday, my first priority should be to take a break from being social... maybe after church. :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Faye! I hope this doesn't seem too stalker-ish, but you had told me the name of your blog so I thought I would stop by and say hi! If you are ever nostalgic for New York or want to check out a new place, I think it would be fun to hang out! If you e-mail me at cmkearins@gmail.com, I can send you my phone number to call or text. Hope you are enjoying Austin! - Colleen

    ReplyDelete