9.16.2011

106.5 Keilah Radio

Ever since my experience with the Spanish language in Peru last year, I have been wanting to learn more and become fluent. Though, NYC has a large Latino population and I was accustomed its presence, Texas seems like NYC on steroids with regards to its prevalence.  To me, this is one of the advantages of being in a state that borders Mexico. This fact was exciting since I could practice my comprehension more easily with a larger variety of radio stations.

By happenstance, I was surfing the radio one night and found a station with a soothing, slow song in Spanish. I realized that I was able to understand everything more easily, especially compared to the standard reggaeton songs played by my previous favorite Spanish station. This was already exciting! Then, as I listened closer, I realized that the words were talking about God. I had just found the Spanish Christian station and yay! the words were intelligible!!!

So now I have this ritual. When I am driving on my way to and from work, I will play the station for two reasons. 1) The soothing music is helpful to calm my mind. 2) I get to practice some Spanish skills while stuck in rush hour traffic. And of course, I actually do enjoy the songs that they sing.

One that I heard (and was very pleased with myself for comprehending) is a song called Soy Tu Hijo by New Wine. I thought I'd share the words and youtube video with you. :) Then you can practice your Spanish as well!






Soy tu hijo y me amas
eres mi padre y quiero honrarte
tu eres todo el ser que adoro
y a tu lado me siento seguro
dame un corazon de un padre
y enseñame como honrarte
Abba Padre quiero ser como tu

soy tu hijo tu me amas
eres mi padre y quiero honrarte
cuando clamo tu me oyes
y es por eso que tanto te amo


dame el corazon de un padre
y enseñame como honrarte


p.s. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out what the name of the station was. It sounded like another Christian station called K-Love.  That didn't make sense since the name already existed and I thought my comprehension/hearing was going bad. I'm glad to figure out the real name and that I'm not completely awful in my comprehension. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment