9.30.2011

Barton Springs! Brrr... Refreshing

 This post is for Rina, my favorite and very missed voice teacher!

As promised, I made it to Barton Springs for a swim! This place was listed as one of the things you can do for affordably, which was indeed true at only $3 per person. The neat thing about this pool is that it is spring fed and the temperature is always at about 68 degrees.  This sounded perfect to me considering how Austin's average temperature had been over 100 since I arrived!

I ended up going for Labor Day and funnily enough, that was actually one of the colder days! No joke. There was a cool breeze and it must've been around the high 80s that day for a change. This temperature made me even more excited for a fun day and even prepared for the event by making my first pasta salad. It was supposed to be a neat picnic day.

Unfortunately, food is not allowed! Boo. It probably has something to do with the fact that there are endangered salamanders who live in the pool. That may seem kinda gross, but this was a natural pool, so what can you expect? There were also tons of greenery growing in it, so you get more of a "lake swimming" feel than pool. I think that was one of the coolest traits of the pool.

Even though I ended up having to sneak pieces of my food in my mouth when no one was looking, it was a super fun time. The sun was nicely shining down and once you jumped in the water, you can enjoy just how brisk (read: COOOOOLD!) it was. Very refreshing.

The best part about the whole thing was the people watching you get to do. I almost forgot that in Austin, it is perfectly legal to be topless. That's right. Topless. I definitely remembered this rule though after seeing some women take advantage. Who likes tan lines right? Haha!

In case you were wondering, no, I did not do as the locals did on that aspect. But I did go sunblock-less and paid for it the next few days! Ouch!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got to go and even take a swim! :) Did you meet any salamanders? Oh, and BOO for not going topless! Challenge to yoursel, hello!!! lol :) I miss you, too, Faye!

    ReplyDelete